Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The Theme Park of Your Ancestors Beckons (and is totally indifferent)


     My beloved and I went to France-Holland-Germany (in EUROPE).  It was swell. I am unable at this time to speak anything but junior high level English so my communication with the locals was guttural pantomimes about food and bodily functions and asking if they spoke my sad and solitary language. While it was uniformly fascinating, it was also utterly indifferent to our presence, other than to accept our credit  card. I wish I had deeply thoughts about our trip. It was nice to see countries not wholly consumed by MAGA politics and the orange pestilence, and strangely behaving as if the public welfare was important. Just the intricate dance of the bicycles in Amsterdam alone was enough to make you wish humans at home could simultaneously think of the greater good AND their own interests equally.
    One Saturday night in Paris stands out.  Laurie and I were tired but in search of food. It was hard to figure out the Google maps (a possible sign of being really old) and the streets at 7:00 pm were packed with beautiful young people . It was like Las Vegas or Coachella. I am not sure if I have ever felt more old or out of place.


Photo credit LAURIE SANDER - Quimper, France

No comments:

Post a Comment